Monday, June 1, 2009

Father and Son Campout - Wangaretta Ward

Loaded up with good sugar-packed camping snacks and off we go.

Will's first Aussie brekky cooked on a camp fire..."snags" AKA sausage, bacon, egg fried in bacon grease and some onion with "tomato sauce" AKA ketchup. The bread was toasted over the fire too and it was dang good.

We slept in the car, here is a picture of our sweet Nissan Patrol.


Spencer was showing me his delicious brekky snags.

Brother Woodford, a true Aussie, showing me how to cook up a good brekky on the fire.



Liam with his fire poking stick

This is Luigi Bonacci, he's a funny character, but not in a comical sort of way. He is super nice and has been a great friend to us. He also loaned us a butt load of really nice furniture for free while we are here.

Again, Spencer with his delicious Aussie camping food.

Spencer and I (Will) were hiking up the mountain a ways behind the other boys, this was a nice grassy spot, really pretty in the early morning sun. The camera washed out some of the color but it was really pretty. As we were hiking up we ran into a little kangaroo, it was hopping along down the mountain and stopped about 10 feet just in front of us and stared at us, we returned the stare. Then as I went for my camera, he all of the sudden got really shy and took off into the bush before I could get a clear shot. Oh well, Spencer and I were overjoyed to meet a wild roo in the bush.


Here's Liam just taking in the scenery. This is the spot where the branch priesthood had a time capsule hidden under some rocks. Inside was a list of names and dates of priesthood holders and young men who had born their testimonies on this spot. We all sat reverently and shared the same and added our names to the list. Then we had a closing prayer, sealed up the capsule and buried it again for next year. They have been doing this for like 25 years, it was amazing, and something we will always remember.




King of the mountain.


Liam and the young men in our ward taking up their positions on the highest rock on the mountain.

Spencer making his way through the downed timber. That orange hat was a strategic maneuver, I can see that kid from miles away so he will never be lost. Spence just thinks the hat is cool.






1 comment:

The Laytons said...

That looks like fun. I can't wait til I can take Owen and we can all go camping together. We sure miss you guys. Love ya'll